The Southern Maryland Blue Crabs opened up their ninth year of professional baseball on April 21, 2016 against the Lancaster Barnstormers. It was the debut game of Jeremy Owens as manager of the ballclub. Here is a look over of the 2016 Blue Crabs season.
Overall: 57-83 (4th in Freedom Division)
First Half: 26-44 (4th in Freedom Division)
Second Half: 31-39 (4th in Freedom Division)
All-Stars: LHP Brian Burres (Starting Pitcher), INF Michael Snyder (Starting 1B), INF Bryant Nelson, OF Jamar Walton, RHP Cody Eppley
Bill Wootan MVP Award presented by The Booster Club: INF Zach Wilson
Blue Crabs Team Batting Stats Leaders:
- Batting Average: Michael Snyder – .304
- Runs Batted In: Zach Wilson – 70
- Home Runs: Michael Snyder – 25
- Games Played: Bryant Nelson, Eric Garcia – 132
- Runs Scored: Gary Brown – 62
- Hits: Bryant Nelson – 137
- Doubles: Zach Wilson – 34
- Walks: Bryant Nelson – 43
- Stolen Bases: D’Arby Myers – 29
Blue Crabs Team Pitching Stats Leaders:
- Earned Run Average (Starter, Reliever):
Brian Grening – 3.08, Cody Eppley – 3.06
- Innings Pitched: Brian Burres – 156.2
- Games Started: Brian Burres – 27
- Strikeouts: Gaby Hernandez – 150
- Wins: Brian Burres – 11
- Losses: Gaby Hernandez, Tim Sexton – 10
- Saves: Cody Eppley – 31
- Complete Games: Gaby Hernandez – 4
- Earned Runs As A Starter (Min. 100 IP) (Least Allowed, Most Allowed): Brian Grening – 40, Tim Sexton – 87
- Home Runs As A Starter (Min. 100 IP) (Least Allowed, Most Allowed): Brian Grening – 9, Daryl Thompson – 27
- Lowest Batting Average Against (Starter, Reliever):
Brian Grening – .247, Robert Carson – .222
- LOMBARDOZZI: The Blue Crabs opened up the 2016 season with former major leaguer Steve Lombardozzi on the roster. The veteran infielder logged innings at the MLB level; most notably with the Washington Nationals. He played for Baltimore and Pittsburgh and was with the Chicago White Sox organization prior to joining the Blue Crabs. On June 6, 2016, the Blue Crabs announced Lombardozzi signed with the Nationals; he reported to AAA Syracuse. While on the Blue Crabs, the 27-year-old was batting .367 in 40 games.
- ALL-STARS: The league named the 2016 All-Star team’s on July 6th, the game was held on July 13, 2016 in Lancaster, PA. Five of the 2016 Blue Crabs were named to the team, with two starting. LHP Brian Burres was named the starter pitcher and INF Micheal Snyder got the start at first base. Outfielder Jamar Walton was named to his second consecutive All-Star game joining INF Bryant Nelson and RHP Cody Eppley. The Freedom Division team was managed by 2015 Blue Crabs Manager Stan Cliburn who managed the Liberty Division New Britain Bees.
- MILESTONE MAN: It was Bryant Nelson’s year as the 42-year-old Atlantic League veteran broke numerous league records this season, including:
- GRAND SLAM: The Blue Crabs beat the Somerset Patriots on August 30, 2016 by a final of 8-5. Zach Wilson drove four of the eight runs scores when he hit a towering grand slam, projected to have traveled well over 400 feet.
The Blue Crabs look to open the 2017 season next year as they celebrate ten years of baseball in Southern Maryland. Full details on the season and the excitement it will bring will be found on www.somdbluecrabs.com!